Jeffrey M. Dine is an Associate in Seward & Kissel’s Litigation Group. Jeff’s clients include shipping companies, investment banks, hedge funds, indenture trustees and administrative agents. His practice focuses on complex corporate and commercial litigation and arbitration, as well as the recognition and enforcement of international arbitration awards.
Jeff represents clients in matters involving, public securities and derivative litigation, maritime commercial matters, securitizations, contracts and bankruptcy. He also represents clients in copyright, trade secret and trademark cases. He practices in state and federal courts throughout the country as well as in international, maritime, domestic and securities industry arbitrations and mediations.
Jeff writes and speaks on international arbitration, arbitration enforcement and copyright. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a member of the International Bar Association (Litigation and Arbitration Committees, Intellectual Property and Entertainment Law Committee), the Maritime Law Association of the United States (Arbitration and ADR Committee) and the Copyright Society of the U.S.A.
Jeff received a B.A. from the University of Michigan in 1988 with honors and high distinction, and a J.D. cum laude, also from the University of Michigan, in 1995.
Jeff was named a rising star in Securities Litigation – Defense in the Legal 500 USA 2016 guide, and a New York Metro Super Lawyer in Business Litigation in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016.
Representative matters include:
- A shipping company enforcing Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre awards in multiple jurisdictions and courts in the United States.
- An administrative agent for lenders to a failed casino and resort development project in litigations resulting in judgment against project guarantors totaling $1.1 billion, and subsequent judgment enforcement litigation in multiple jurisdictions.
- Public shipping companies in shareholder derivative, proxy and securities class action litigation.
- Members of a shipping company against corporate veil piercing claims related to an arbitration award against the company; the claims were dismissed.
- A software company asserting copyright and contract claims against a large educational publishing company.
- A foreign exchange trading company as claimant in an international arbitration related to the Refco bankruptcy, resulting in a substantial award.
- Indenture trustees for issuances of bank holding company’s Trust Preferred Securities in bankruptcy proceedings and lawsuits to protect the value of the securities
- A tanker charterer in litigation against the vessel owner arising out of international arbitration of issues related to Somali piracy.
- A company in the printing industry as defendant in a copyright infringement case brought by the Motion Picture Association of America.