Bruce G. Paulsen is co-chair of Seward & Kissel’s Litigation Group, chair of the Sanctions Practice Group and has been a partner since 2002. He was named as one of the global Top 10 Maritime Lawyers by Lloyd’s List, in December 2020. Chambers USA 2020 reported that Bruce “is a highly regarded maritime practitioner with first-rate advocacy skills.”
Bruce specializes in handling complex commercial and maritime disputes. Bruce handles finance and securities-related disputes in the shipping industry. He also has substantial expertise in the area of international trade sanctions and has been deeply involved in handling piracy issues before U.S. government agencies. He is an expert in the recognition and enforcement of arbitration awards.
Further, he has acted for shipping industry participants in litigations and arbitrations involving more traditional maritime disputes, lien claims and environmental matters.
Bruce is a registered member of the Singapore Chamber of Maritime Arbitration.
Chambers USA 2020 reported that Bruce “has particular expertise in finance and securities litigation in the shipping industry and acts for a wide variety of clients including bondholders, secured lenders, shipowners and charterers.” Legal 500 USA 2018 described Bruce as “particularly impressive for his strong analysis and strategy.”
Bruce has written and lectured frequently on litigation, arbitration, bankruptcy, piracy and sanctions issues and is highly engaged, on a pro bono basis, in non-profit governance.
- One of the top 10 maritime lawyers – Lloyd’s List 2020
- Chambers USA 2020 – 2021 (transportation litigation)
- Best Lawyers in America 2020 (admiralty and maritime law)
- Legal 500 2020 (securities litigation)
- Who’s Who Legal: Transport 2020
- New York Super Lawyers 2020 (business litigation)
- AV Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Rated “Superb” (9.5 out of 10.0) by Avvo.com