Rhona J. Kisch is a partner and head of the Real Estate Group. Rhona’s practice involves counseling clients on a wide range of real estate and real estate related transactions, with expertise in commercial real estate law, real estate related communications law, environmental law and corporate law. Her practice focuses on commercial real estate acquisition, finance, sales, leasing, and construction matters for financial institutions and private developers, investors, owners and tenants.
Rhona’s real estate finance related work includes representing financial institutions and developers/owners in acquisition, development, capital improvement and warehouse financings as well as mortgage note purchase and sale, 363 sale and forbearance/restructuring matters. Her practice includes transactions involving office buildings, hotels, shopping centers, multi-family residential complexes and condominiums. She counsels clients on REIT, environmental, corporate structure, syndication, private equity, green building rating system, work-out and bankruptcy matters. Rhona’s real estate related communications work includes representing landlords, tenants and communications service providers in switch facility leases as well as meet-me-room, collocation, rooftop antennas and inside wiring agreements. She has extensive experience resolving termination rights, assignment, relocation, interference, insurance exclusivity, franchise and mandatory access issues.
Rhona has spoken on real estate related finance matters including Deeds in Lieu, Guarantees and Environmental Diligence. Rhona has testified before the US Senate Environment and Public Works Committee about the Superfund Program, and before the US House of Representatives Energy and Commerce Committee on RCRA Industrial D Waste.
- Co-authored, “Fed Calls for Banks for Disclose Climate Change Risk Assessment,” Seward & Kissel (January 19, 2023)
- Co-authored, “Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 – Implications for Commercial Real Estate,” Seward & Kissel (August 4, 2022)
- Co-authored, “New York City PACE Program – Recent Developments,” Seward & Kissel (April 20, 2022)
- Co-authored, “Bracing for Impact: Local Law 97 and the NYC Commercial Leasing Market,” Seward & Kissel (July 27, 2021)
- Co-authored, “Proposed NY Mezzanine/Preferred Equity Tax,” Seward & Kissel (June 22, 2021)
- Co-authored, “The Year in Real Estate and What’s Ahead,” Seward & Kissel (December 22, 2020)
- Co-authored, “Proposed Legislation Would Impact Self-Storage Facilities in New York State,” Seward & Kissel (November 6, 2020)
- Co-authored, “Tax Implications of Rent Deferral Packages,” Seward & Kissel (May 13, 2020)
- Co-authored, “COVID-19 – Force Majeure and Real Estate,” Seward & Kissel (March 23, 2020)
- Co-authored, “Mall Owner Prevents Assignment of Sears’ Lease: What Constitutes ‘Adequate Assurance of Future Performance’ of a Shopping Center Lease?” Seward & Kissel (March 18, 2020)
- Co-authored, “Client Alert: New York Fed Publishes SOFR Averages and SOFR Index,” Seward & Kissel (March 2, 2020)
- Co-authored, “Seward and Simmons Collaborate on Online IBOR Portal,” Seward & Kissel (February 12, 2020)