Sophia is an associate in the Corporate Finance Group at Seward & Kissel. Sophia joined the firm in 2016 and represents both lenders and borrowers in connection with debt financing and other credit transactions.
Sophia’s practice spans a wide array of debt financing transactions, including the representation of U.S. banks, foreign banks, private credit funds, and other institutional lenders. As a longtime member of Seward & Kissel’s renowned Maritime and Transportation Group, she brings particularly deep experience in maritime lending transactions. Her work negotiating and drafting credit agreements across all industries is informed by experience she gained while seconded to the New York office of DNB Bank, where she structured and coordinated secured loans. That background gives Sophia and the Seward & Kissel team a valuable understanding of the needs of bank clients and counterparties in negotiating loan documentation. Sophia also has significant experience in structuring joint ventures for public and private companies, private equity firms, financial institutions, and individual business owners in connection with a variety of U.S and cross-border business transactions and in general corporate matters.
At Seward & Kissel, Sophia has earned consistent recognition for the excellence of her work. Honored as a Rising Star by both Legal 500 (2023) and New York Super Lawyers (2023), she was a member of the teams representing Ridgebury Tankers in connection with a $240 million refinancing that won “Deal of the Year” at the Lloyd’s List Americas Awards, and Nordic American Tankers in connection with a $306 million senior secured credit agreement selected as a Marine Money “Editor’s Choice Deal of the Year.”
In recent transactions, she has advised:
- DNB Bank ASA, New York Branch as agent in connection with a $325 million acquisition term loan for Tidewater Inc. (NYSE:TDW)
- Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank as agent in connection with a $260 million term loan and revolving credit facility for Dorian LPG Ltd (NYSE:LPG)
- DNB Bank ASA, New York branch as agent in connection with a $175 million senior secured green term loan facility, revolving facility, and L/C facility guaranteed by Eneti Inc (NYSE:NETI)
- Eagle Bulk (NYSE:EGLE) in connection with a $485 million term loan and revolving credit facility from a global syndicate of banks
- A global private debt fund as lender in connection with a $122 million global corporate refinancing for a NYSE-listed offshore energy company
- A private debt fund as lender on a multi-tranche senior secured loan for an online food delivery service
- An alternative asset manager as lender on a litigation financing loan secured by contingency fees
- A hedge fund manager as borrower in connection with a loan facility to buy out certain existing equity holders
Sophia received her J.D. from Fordham University School of Law and her B.A. from Swarthmore College, where she played NCAA Division III field hockey. She is a member of the New York City Bar Association Admiralty Committee, Women’s International Shipping & Trading Association, and the Hellenic Lawyers Association.