Robert J. (Bob) Gayda is a partner in Seward & Kissel’s Corporate Restructuring & Bankruptcy Group. Bob represents creditors’ committees, special committees, directors and officers, debtors, lenders, distressed asset purchasers and investors in restructurings, whether in or out of court. Bob has experience across a number of industries including retail, hospitality, pharma, crypto, financial services, energy, maritime/offshore, real estate, fintech and mass tort.
Bob has been recognized by Chambers USA where clients noted that he is “smart, practical and knows how to keep the ball moving forward”, “a wonderful attorney and a pleasure to work with” and that he “demonstrates patience, skill and judgment”. Bob was also selected to the 2023 Lawdragon 500 Leading Bankruptcy & Restructuring Lawyers and named as a Top Author in JD Supra’s Readers’ Choice Awards. Previously, Bob was selected as a winner of the 7th Annual M&A Advisor Emerging Leaders Awards in the Legal Advisor category (formerly their “40 under 40” awards) and named a Rising Star by Super Lawyers 2017-2019. Bob is active in the restructuring community, writing and speaking frequently. Bob is the editor of Seward’s Back in (the) Black Blog, which posts weekly. Bob has recently been published in the Journal of Corporate Renewal, Reorg Research, Law360, and Turnarounds & Workouts, and appeared in the Financial Times, Bloomberg, the Wall Street Journal, and Forbes discussing restructuring issues.
Some select recent engagements include the representation of debtor Times Square JV LLC (currently DBA the Crowne Plaza Times Square) in its successful bankruptcy case, including in ongoing litigation, the representation of unsecured creditors’ committees in the Coin Cloud, ABC Carpet & Home, Fairmont San Jose, Furniture Factory, Papyrus and Le Pain Quotidien bankruptcies, and the liquidating trustees in both ABC and Furniture Factory, where Bob is prosecuting breach of fiduciary duty claims. Bob is also representing clients in the Bed Bath & Beyond, Purdue Pharma, Endo Pharmaceuticals, FTX and Eletson bankruptcy cases in various capacities.
Bob serves on the board of directors of the Gladiator Project, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation which supports brain cancer research and patients, particularly those afflicted with glioblastoma, as well as the board of the Rumson Education Foundation. He is a member of the Turnaround Management Association (NY) Golf Committee, the Maritime Bankruptcy and Insolvency Committee of the Maritime Law Association of the US, and a member of the Insolvency Section of the International Bar Association, the American Bankruptcy Institute, and the New York State Bar Association.
- Co-authored, “‘An Ounce of Prevention’…How to Reduce the Risk of Litigation and Enforcement Proceedings,” Seward & Kissel (July 26, 2023)
- Co-authored, “Supply Chain Squabbles in Bed, Bath & Beyond Bankruptcy Reflect Increasing Shipping Act Litigation Before the FMC,” Seward & Kissel (May 10, 2023)
- Co-authored, “Reservations for Restructuring: Headwinds Force Hotel Bankruptcies,” Journal of Corporate Renewal (JCR) (April 3, 2023)
- Co-authored, “Seward & Kissel Releases Restructuring & Bankruptcy Practice 2022 Year in Review,” Seward & Kissel (March 16, 2023)
- Co-authored, “2022 Highlights from the Global Bank and Institutional Finance & Restructuring Group,” Seward & Kissel (February 13, 2023)
- Co-authored, “Brief: BlockFi Bankruptcy Filing,” Seward & Kissel (December 1, 2022)
- Co-authored, “Down to the Wire: Citibank Wins Big in Revlon Appeal,” Seward & Kissel (September 13, 2022)
- Co-authored, “Bankruptcy System Faces Gov’t Backlash,” Turnarounds & Workouts (May 25, 2022)
- Co-authored, “How the Tribune Cases Will Affect Fraudulent Transfer Claims,” Law360 (May 10, 2022)
- Co-authored, “2021 Highlights from the Global Bank and Institutional Finance & Restructuring Group,” Seward & Kissel (February 14, 2022)
- Co-authored, “Seward & Kissel Releases Corporate Restructuring & Bankruptcy Practice 2021 Year in Review,” Seward & Kissel (February 9, 2022)
- Co-authored, “Supply Chain Issues May Spur More Retail Bankruptcies in the Year Ahead,” Journal of Corporate Renewal (February 1, 2022)
- Co-authored, “Seward & Kissel Releases Maritime Practice 2021 Year in Review,” Seward & Kissel (January 27, 2022)
- Co-authored, “SEC Sanctions Broker-Dealer for Alternative Trading System Disclosure Failures,” Seward & Kissel (January 26, 2022)
- Co-authored, “Creative Solutions to Creditor Committee Standing Issues Continue to Emerge in Bankruptcy Court,” Seward & Kissel (July 30, 2021)
- Co-authored, “Bankruptcy Venue Reform Redux,” Seward & Kissel (July 22, 2021)
- Co-authored, “The Buck Stops Here: Bankruptcy Judge Rejects U.S. Trustee’s Effort to ‘Double Collect’ Fees from Litigation Trust,” Seward & Kissel (July 12, 2021)
- Co-authored, “’I Am the Captain Now’: Lenders Seek to Take Control of the Seadrill Ltd. Marketing Process,” Seward & Kissel (July 6, 2021)
- Co-authored, “Delaware Bankruptcy Court Limits Recovery of Indenture Trustee’s Attorney’s Fees in Tribune Case,” Seward & Kissel (July 1, 2021)
- Co-authored, “SEC Issues Statement on 1940 Act Registered Funds Investing in the Bitcoin Futures Market,” Seward & Kissel (May 18, 2021)