Nick Katsanos is a partner in the Business Transactions Group at Seward & Kissel. Nick joined the Firm in 2008 after practicing in-house at a global media company for more than five years.
Nick works with public and private companies, private equity firms, financial institutions, and individual business owners in connection with a variety of U.S and cross-border business transactions and general corporate matters. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital transactions, joint ventures and strategic alliances in a wide range of industries, including shipping, investment management, broker-dealer and other financial services, B2B media and events, business information and marketing services, and veterinary transactions. Nick also advises clients on compliance with the premerger notification requirements of the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act.
Prior to joining Seward & Kissel, Nick worked in-house in the legal and corporate development departments of UBM, a global media company listed on the London Stock Exchange. During his time at UBM, Nick worked on evaluating, structuring and completing acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, minority investments and strategic alliances throughout the world, focusing on B2B media (including online and print), exhibitions and events, news distribution, market research and data and software services and solutions.
Nick currently serves as a member of the Board of Directors of the Hellenic-American Chamber of Commerce. In addition, Nick acts as an editor for IM Deals® (a blog covering investment management industry transactions).
Nick’s work has been recognized by Chambers USA, The Legal 500, The M&A Advisor, New York Super Lawyers and Euromoney Institutional Investor’s LMG Rising Stars (Expert Guides). Legal 500 USA 2019 said this about Nick: “…highly rated is Nick Katsanos, who understands the nuances that differentiate one deal from the next and provides practical advice to overcome the inevitable hurdles that arise.”
Nick is admitted to practice in New York and is a member of both the New York City and New York State Bar Associations.
Nick received a B.S. degree, magna cum laude, from New York University’s Stern School of Business in 1996, and a J.D. degree from New York University School of Law in 1999.
Nick has advised clients on numerous significant transactions, including:
- Growth Catalyst Partners, a leading middle market private equity firm, in connection with its acquisition of The Equine Network in a corporate carve-out from Active Interest Media, Inc.
- Poseidon Containers Holdings LLC and K&T Marine LLC in connection with their stock-for-stock merger with Global Ship Lease, Inc. (NYSE: GSL), creating a leading containership owner
- Pet Emergency & Specialty Center of Marin, a California-based multi-specialty referral and emergency veterinary hospital, in connection with its sale to Ethos Veterinary Health
- TOPO Research LLC, a California-based a research and advisory firm, in connection with its sale to Gartner, Inc. (NYSE: IT)
- Scorpio Tankers Inc. (NYSE: STNG), a provider of marine transportation of petroleum products worldwide, in connection with its merger with Navig8 Product Tankers Inc (NOTC: EIGHT)
- Concept Capital Markets, LLC, a leading independent provider of prime brokerage services, in connection with its sale to Cowen Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: COWN)
- TechInsights Inc., the authoritative information platform serving the semiconductor and related markets, in connection with a number of transactions, including its acquisition of VLSI Research Inc., a provider of market and economic analysis covering the semiconductor supply chain, and The Linley Group, Inc., an industry-leading source for independent technology analysis of the latest microprocessors and other semiconductors
- UBM plc (LSE: UBM-LN), a global marketing services and communications company, in connection with dozens of transactions, including the carveout sale of its electronics media portfolio to an affiliate of Arrow Electronics Inc. (NYSE: ARW)