Seward & Kissel’s Business Transactions Group routinely advises clients (both buy-side and sell-side) on a variety of transactions involving investment management and broker-dealer businesses, including:
- Joint Ventures and Strategic Alliances
- Majority Stake and 100% Acquisitions and Dispositions
- Minority Stake Investments
- Seed Transactions
- Spin-Outs from Existing Platforms
These transactions involve businesses across the entire investment management industry, including managers of mutual funds, hedge funds, private equity and venture capital funds, as well as institutional investment managers, wealth managers, RIAs, broker-dealers, CLO managers and family offices. We provide thought leadership on deals involving the sector through our IM Deals blog (www.imdealsblog.com).
The Firm has one of the largest investment management practices in the world, with tax, employment, ERISA and regulatory specialists dedicated to the investment management and broker-dealer industries. Working with our Investment Management attorneys enables us to take an interdisciplinary approach to leverage our wealth of experience to develop innovative structures for our clients’ transactions and handle significant legal issues quickly, skillfully and effectively.
Set forth below is a representative list of some of our Investment Management and Broker-Dealer transactions. For more representative deals, please visit the Investment Management and Broker-Dealer Transactions Experience page.
- Represented Marblegate Asset Management in connection with its strategic partnership with Investcorp.
- Represented Tiedemann Advisors and TIG Advisors in connection with their business combination with Alvarium Investments Limited and Cartesian Growth Corporation (NASDAQ: GLBL).
- Represented TIG Advisors in connection with its acquisition from Blackstone of a minority revenue share interest in Arkkan Capital, a Hong Kong-based alternative asset manager with approximately $1 billion of assets under management that focuses on credit and special situations investments across Asia Pacific markets.
- Represented City of London Investment Group PLC (LSE:CLIG), a London-based global fund manager, in connection with its $99,700,000 share-for-share merger with Pittsford New York-based investment manager Karpus Management, Inc.
- Represented Kudu Investment Management, LLC, a provider of permanent capital solutions to the asset and wealth management industries, in connection with its minority equity investments in investment management firms Creation Investments Capital Management, Versus Capital Advisors, TIG Advisors, Pennybacker Capital, Warwick Capital, Fair Oaks Capital, Champlain Investment Partners, West End Advisors, EJF Capital and Bingham, Osborn & Scarborough.
- Represented Emerging Global Advisors, a New York-based registered investment adviser and a leading provider of smart beta portfolios focused on emerging markets, in connection with its merger with Columbia Threadneedle Investments, the global asset management group of Ameriprise Financial, Inc. (NYSE:AMP).
- Represented FWM Holdings, the parent company of Forbes Family Trust and LGL Partners, multi-family offices focused on ultra-high-net worth families, in connection with the acquisition of Optima Fund Management, a registered investment adviser specializing in alternative investments for institutional and high net-worth clients.
- Represented Paris and London-based iM Global Partner, a leading investment and development platform for money managers, in connection with its minority stake investments in U.S.-based investment management firms Polen Capital Management, Dolan McEniry Capital Management, Dynamic Beta Investments, Sirios Capital Management and Scharf Investments.
- Represented Concept Capital Markets, LLC, a leading independent provider of prime brokerage services, in connection with its sale to Cowen Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:COWN).
- Represented registered investment adviser Metropolitan Real Estate Equity Management, LLC, a global real estate multi-manager investment manager, in connection with its sale to global alternative asset manager The Carlyle Group.
- Represented Tocqueville Asset Management, a New York-based investment manager, in connection with the sale of its gold strategy asset management business to Sprott Inc. (TSE:SII).
- Represented Cramer Rosenthal McGlynn, LLC, a New York-based value equity manager, in connection with the management buyout of its business from Wilmington Trust Corporation.
- Represented TIG Advisors, LLC, a leading alternative asset management company founded in 1980, which provides capital, comprehensive infrastructure support and management to investment teams, in connection with its acquisition of a minority interest in Romspen Investment Corporation, a premier alternative credit manager focused on North American real estate.
- Represented Emigrant Partners, a subsidiary of New York Private Bank & Trust, in connection with its minority investments in Stratos Wealth Holdings, NorthRock Partners, Parallel Advisors, Pure Financial Advisors and Autus Asset Management.
- Represented C.W. Downer & Co., a global M&A investment bank and registered broker-dealer, in connection with its sale to European financial services firm Alantra Partners, S.A. (BME:ALNT).
- Represented NewStar Financial, Inc. (NASDAQ:NEWS) in connection with its acquisition of Fifth Street CLO Management LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Fifth Street Holdings L.P., an affiliate of Fifth Street Asset Management, Inc. (NASDAQ:FSAM), a publicly-traded credit-focused asset management firm.
- Represented Whitebox Advisors, a registered investment adviser, in connection with its sale of a 19.9% minority ownership stake to Dyal Capital Partners, a unit of Neuberger Berman Group.
- Represented Alger Associates, Inc., a New York-based registered investment adviser in connection with its acquisition of Boston-based Weatherbie Capital, LLC, a growth equity investment manager that focuses on investing in U.S. small and mid-cap growth equities.
- Represented Atalanta Sosnoff, a registered investment advisor in connection with its sale of a 49% interest to investment bank Evercore Partners (NYSE:EVR).